Public Entity Cases:*
- Andrew T. Caulfield obtained a defense jury verdict in negligence and trespass action brought against County of El Dorado employee.
- In federal civil rights/excessive force action against County of El Dorado, federal court issued an extensive order after a full evidentiary hearing, granting Andrew T. Caulfield’s motion for terminating sanctions against Plaintiff based on Plaintiff’s repeated perjury during her deposition and at the evidentiary hearing.
- Bench trial in breach of contract case tried by Andrew T. Caulfield resulted in negligible award to Plaintiff and costs to Defendant County of Calaveras due to Plaintiff’s failure to accept early CCP § 998 Offer.
- Andrew T. Caulfield obtained summary judgment in favor of Defendant County of Calaveras in breach of contract action, and $65,000 in attorneys’ fees and costs based on trial court finding that action was frivolous under CCP § 1038.
- Andrew T. Caulfield won $118,000 judgment in favor of County of El Dorado and 18 employees in action brought under CCP § 765.010 et seq. and Gov. Code § 6223 to strike false liens filed by Defendant against employees; included the maximum $5,000 civil penalty for each employee and award to County of nearly $28,000 in attorneys’ fees and costs.
- In dangerous condition of public property case involving a plaintiff with significant injuries, Andrew T. Caulfield and Richard H. Caulfield obtained summary judgment in favor of Defendant City of Lincoln on the basis of design immunity under Gov. Code § 830.6.
- Andrew T. Caulfield obtained jury verdict in excess of six figures for public entity in landslide repair case after 18 days of trial.
- Andrew T. Caulfield obtained dismissal of malicious prosecution action against Defendant County of El Dorado and award of attorneys’ fees under California’s anti-SLAPP statute.
- Andrew T. Caulfield and Richard H. Caulfield obtained summary judgment in favor of the County of El Dorado and four deputy sheriff defendants in a civil rights action after the court found that Plaintiff’s federal and state claims were barred as a matter of law.
- Multiple federal district court decisions in favor of public entity clients and public employees affirmed by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Business Litigation Cases:
- During his tenure at Holland & Knight, Andrew T. Caulfield represented Plaintiff community hospital in $20 million commercial litigation matter involving complex conduit financing transaction; second-chaired successful bench trial in the U.S. District Court for the Central District and recovered $248,000 in attorneys’ fees, plus costs; prepared brief leading to Ninth Circuit affirming district court ruling and awarding additional fees and costs on appeal.
- Andrew T. Caulfield was lead counsel for client involved in $20 million solar financing litigation.
- Andrew T. Caulfield obtained a dismissal with prejudice of all claims brought against AGFS in loan priority dispute brought by Countrywide. AGFS also recovered $21,619.02 in interest on its loan, along with $53,250 in attorneys’ fees, representing the entirety of fees incurred.
- Andrew T. Caulfield obtained early dismissal by way of 12(b)(6) motion for defendants eBay, Inc. and PayPal, Inc. in federal court action.
General Civil Litigation Cases:
- Richard H. Caulfield obtained $14.3 million jury verdict in bad faith case representing the El Dorado Public Guardian.
- Andrew T. Caulfield, Franklin G. Gumpert and Richard H. Caulfield obtained early dismissal for construction industry client in wrongful death claim based on construction site accident.
Insurance Coverage Matters:
- Mary P. Derner represented Las Vegas project owner in complex property and liability insurance disputes arising from construction defects.
- Mary P. Derner represented New York owner of Southern California resort in litigation to recover first-party property coverage for damage from water intrusion resulting from construction defects and advised owner concerning maximizing insurance recoveries from liability insurers for general contractor and subcontractors.
- Mary P. Derner represented Sonoma County winery in settling property and liability insurance claims arising from contaminated wine.
- Mary P. Derner represented municipalities in connection with insurance coverage issues related to environmental contamination suits.
- Mary P. Derner represented casino/hotel owner in property insurance claims and litigation concerning property damage and business interruption losses suffered by a Biloxi, Mississippi casino/resort from Hurricane Katrina and defective construction.
- Mary P. Derner represented Southern California medical device company in coverage disputes with its directors and officers liability and patent infringement defense insurers.
*By identifying past results, Caulfield Law Firm in no way implies or guarantees that any prospective client will receive a similar result, or for that matter, will prevail in any particular matter handled by Caulfield Law Firm.